If you just started to dip your toes into affiliate marketing and you’re looking for the best SEO software and keyword research tool to use, this Ahrefs review may be the solution you have been searching for.
Search engine optimization tools are crucial if you want to leverage your SEO efforts. You probably already know that your ranking on search engines can affect your business. If you’re on page 1 of search results you can gain more traffic.
Long tail keywords and low competition are so important that’s why I understand how daunting it can be to choose the right tools, especially if you’re new to this.
Ahrefs is known for providing the best backlinks, as well as tracking and recording data of your SEO efforts.
That said, I will show you in this Ahrefs review its features, as well its limitations to help you decide if it will work for you or not.
Year Founded: 2011
Owner: Dmitry Gerasimenko
Price: $7 for the 7-day trial, then it starts at $99 per month
Recommended: Yes if you’re an experienced webmaster who plans to use all the data
What is Ahrefs?
Ahrefs is notably famous for its extensive data of quality backlinks together with its reliable backlink checker. Apart from that, it renders vital data which every marketer and digital business needs today.
Aside from that, the Ahrefs keywords explorer, as well as its data tracking tools, provide efficient results too. These features, on the one hand, are among the least (sometimes neglected) parts of Ahrefs.
Here are some more available features:
- Rank tracking – monitors your rankings over time
- Site audit – check what’s holding back your website from ranking
- Link checker – find and fix broken links
- SEO analyzer – run a comprehensive SEO check for your website
When it comes to its user interface, the web app is proven accessible and easy to use. The platform also offers an option to export any data the users need into user-friendly formats. It also shows various social media metrics to help marketers and website owners gauge the keyword, data, and content’s online performance.
What does it offer?
Ahrefs is easy to use and it is filled with a wide array of tools that can help you improve your SEO campaign. Here are some of its features:
Backlink analysis or backlink profile
As mentioned earlier, Ahrefs.com is very popular for its backlink checker. It provides extensive information on your page’s backlinks. From new, broken, lost and do-follow links, the application will display all backlink data crawling within your site.
Essentially, when a web page links to any other page, you call it a backlink. Pages with a lot of backlinks tend to rank higher on search engines.
It will also help you filter the kind of backlinks you want to check in a particular site using the link type, language, platform, group similar links, and one link per domain.
Here are the other components in its backlink analysis feature:
- Fresh index and live index. These buttons will display new backlinks crawling in your web page. What makes them different is that you can check new links within a short time frame. For instance, live index typically takes 15-30 minutes to display new links while fresh index takes a little bit longer.
- Referring domains. This lets you check sites that are linking back to your page or the domain you typed into the search bar. Alongside the referring domains, it displays details about the website such as the domain rating, amount of organic traffic, and the number of do-follow links. You can also check lost and new referring domains.
- Top referring content. This allows you to see the top pages of a particular domain. Let’s say you are targeting to have a backlink from an established website in a similar niche. This will show you the top pages for that domain so you can request the owner to link your site from that specific page. It also calculates the integrity of the page based on the social media following.
- Anchor. This function will let you see all anchor texts a referring domain used to link back to your site. It will show you all the information you need to know like the snippet or the text’s exact location, as well as the domain it came from. The program also has filter options to help you make your research simpler.
In site explorer, you can track the metrics of the website or domain you typed in the search bar.
Aside from its comprehensive data (graphs, numbers, metrics), the page comes with an accessible user interface for easy navigation. You can also view social media shares, whether it is Facebook, Google or Twitter. The page is detailed and clickable to help you find more information.
Do not underestimate the power of keywords. While choosing which keyword to use may seem challenging, you have to carefully select a keyword tool that will provide low competition and long-tail keywords.
While there are other keyword tools that are also reliable yet more cost-effective, Ahrefs keyword explorer is another strong feature of this tool. You can see more keywords than others.
For instance, the keyword suggestions include parent topics or the topic where the phrase originated or related. It also has a keyword difficulty score and number of search volumes to help you determine which keyword will suit your content.
Here are other functions within keyword explorer:
- Key phrases’ click metrics
- Keywords’ Cost Per Click
- Other terms a keyword ranks for
- Newly discovered phrases
- Search engine results pages (SERP) position
- SERP overview
- Global volume (amounts of searches of a keyword in a specific country)
- Metrics for paid and organic research per keyword
- Keyword ideas where you can check other related terms
- Commonly asked questions that are related to the keyword you typed in the search bar
Rank tracker is the most recent feature of Ahrefs. What you will get from it is an overview of your keyword rankings. You can also check the following:
- Pages. Essentially, it is a report where all your tracked keywords are grouped according to their corresponding pages.
- Competitors. This lets you see and compare your site’s overall performance to your rival domains. It tracks, records and continuously updates the progress of your competition to help you improve your SEO campaign and outrank them.
- Metrics. You can check everything that involves number and stats concerning your target keywords.
- Grossing. This displays how much your tracked keywords have changed or improved within 7, 30 and 90 days. The data is also divided into mobile and desktop improvement.
How much does it cost?
Each plan will differ based on how you will use it and the lite version starts at $99 monthly which is quite expensive. If you’re just starting out, paying that much will hurt your business. Since you don’t have that much content yet, you won’t really need all the features and data it can provide.
Take a look at the pricing plans per month below. Just so you know, if you purchase the annual plan, you get 2 months for free.
What are the pros and cons?
- It has an extensive database of social shares from Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, etc.
- It has one of the most comprehensive website crawlers
- It has a massive database of backlink profile
- Sends you an email about the most recent and unique keywords every day
- It has advanced filtering tools to help users do their research more efficiently
- It includes complete search engine results analysis together with SERP features
- All the information they show are fresh and can be recovered if needed
- The keyword explorer section has clickstream data for more accurate information
- It has detailed and useful metrics
- The monthly cost is very expensive with $99 as the lowest plan for 1 user
- It does not have Google Analytics or Search Console integration option
- It does not have an outreach tool
- The website traffic metrics are not as powerful as other SEO tools
- Its keyword suggestion tool does not show relevancy score
- The limits on its lite plan are too restricting
Is it worth the investment?
Ahrefs is particularly helpful if you are looking to build quality backlinks and check your competitors’ links. It has a massive database of backlink profile which can help you find broken links, recover lost ones and curate content.
The user interface is also easy to use and accessible. Take the size of letters, numbers and graphs. They are all massive enough to let users see the essential details clearly.
However, it can be very expensive considering that it starts at $99 monthly. That can be too much especially if you’re just starting out and you won’t really have much use for so much data.
Increasing your traffic with the use of search engine optimization tools in important. That’s why it’s important to choose the right tools that will work for you and your business.
Ahrefs is great at providing backlinks, it can provide you keywords, fix broken links and run a comprehensive SEO check of your website.
However, the cost can be a drawback and there are features you don’t necessarily need especially if you’re starting out so it’s best to think about what you will be using it for.
If you want to learn more about search engine optimization and keyword research, let me know and I can show you how. You can create a successful online business as quickly as possible.
If you have any questions or any feedback, please leave them below and I will be more than happy to help. Hope you enjoyed reading this Ahrefs review!