If you have a blog or a website, I’m sure that you are thinking about how to join affiliate programs. Aside from creating consistent and compelling content, you should definitely look at monetizing your site.
With affiliate marketing, you don’t need to create your own products. You can leverage on products and services available in the market and place promotions in your site. It can truly be a lucrative online business, and how much you earn depends on the effort you put in this business.
We will be looking at what you should do as you start joining affiliate programs and including affiliate links in your site. I will also share with you how you can save time and manage your affiliate programs with much ease.
If you have any questions or want to offer you own personal review or feedback, feel free to share any insights you have at the bottom of this page.
How do you become an affiliate?
Simply put, you earn from helping others. When you promote other companies’ products or services, you earn a commission from it. You don’t need to spend a lot to start and it’s up to you if you want to do it part-time or full-time.
Here’s how it works:
- Choose your niche and find relevant products to promote
- Sign up as an affiliate, get your affiliate link and add it to your site
- If your website visitors clicks the link and purchases something, you receive a commission based on the value of the item
I want to emphasize though that it takes time and you don’t reap the benefits of your hard work overnight. It is like any business – you have to commit to take action and look at ways to grow your business. You have to plant the seeds before you can even start to harvest.
I also think it’s really important to establish trust so don’t recommend anything you wouldn’t use or purchase yourself. Focus on helping others.
Search for relevant affiliate programs
At this point, you should’ve already selected your niche. It’s best to look at your interests and hobbies, or think of a problem you can help address.
>> Read: How to Find Niche Markets with 4 Simple Tips <<
Look at search engine results
Search for affilliate programs that are relevant to your niche using any search engine. For example, your niche and website is dedicated to iPhone photography.Google came up with 41,000,000 results! At an instant, you have pages of potential affiliate programs you can promote. If you sign up to these, you can be promoting iPhone photography training.
Look at affiliate programs or networks
You can also go further and do your research in popular affiliate programs since they might have other products or services that are relevant to your niche. Let’s look at some examples:
If we look at this search in Amazon, you have over 3,000 products to look at. For instance, you can find products such as lens and tripod kits, books, ring lights and waterproof casing.
Amazon Associates is a very popular site, however commission rates are quite low. If you want to read more about making money in Amazon as an affiliate, click here.
ShareASale allows affiliates to earn up to 10% commission on the products and services they promote on their website.
In this case, you can also look at different merchants that are relevant to your niche. It also shows you some stats which you might want to consider.
ClickBank features digital products like software, ebooks and membership sites. It has thousands of products available which reportedly offers up to 75% In commission.
Here are the results for iPhone photography:
As you join affiliate programs, it is a good idea to check the following:
- Reputation of the affiliate program/ network
- Payout method – This could be through direct deposit, check, or online payments like Paypal, Payoneer or Skrill.
- Minimum payout – What this means is that is you are under the threshold, you won’t be paid.
- Cookie length – While this differs, standard is 30-60 days.
As you have seen, while it can be exciting, it can also be time consuming to look for relevant affiliate programs to your niche. Each affiliate program would also have different ways of signing up, and it will definitely help to keep a spreadsheet of all your affiliate programs and log-in details.
Produce engaging content in your website
When you have your website up and running, it will definitely help if you consistently publish engaging and compelling content. This helps build trust and credibility.
You can promote affiliate offers using your affiliate links in the following ways:
- Banner ads – These are usually prepared by affiliate programs/ networks and you can choose which ones you would like to use for your website. You can consider placing it in your sidebar or footer. Here’s an example:
- Text links in your content/ reviews – When you recommend a company’s products or services, it will be good to place hyperlinksin your content or product reviews.
- Email promotions – You can link to products and services in your email newsletters when your website visitors sign up to your mailing list.
What’s the easiest way to find and manage affiliate programs?
While ultimately it is your choice on how you go about your online business, I do recommend using a platform that serves as a one-stop shop for afiiliate marketers to create and grow their business.
My recommendation: Wealthy Affiliate
I really like this platform because it pretty much has everything you need for your online business and you can start for FREE. You can have access to training, access to the community, and earn while you learn. If you want to know more, read my review of Wealthy Affiliate.
While they have significant updates every year, what I wanted to share with you is their new Affiliate Programs Platform. It’s just been launched in May 2019. There is finally a place to see it all without going through a long process and it also offers transparency.
Here are the great things you can do:
- Search for affiliate programs – It’s so easy to look for relevant affiliate programs. Using the previous example which is iPhone photography, you can easily see all the affiliate programs/ networks, you can apply filters to look at country availability, payout options, network fees, auto-approval, commissions and rating. You can also go straight to their website if you want to find out more – all in one place.
- Follow and manage your affiliate programs – It’s also good to follow affiliate programs that you like so that you can get any program updates. And managing all your affiliate programs in one place will definitely help to be more organized. What I love is that you can communicate directly with affiliate managers.
- Join discussions on the affiliate program – This is a good way to find out about positive or negative reviews from others who have tried it, and you can also ask questions. I think this is important because sometimes it’s challenging to find a review of an affiliate program elsewhere and you just have to try it out if you’re interested.
As this is version 1.0, it will continue to evolve. I highly recommend trying this out since I haven’t seen other platforms like this, and having it all in one place will definitely help you utilize your time better and get more information faster.
Putting it all together
It is definitely important to join affiliate programs so that you can start monetizing your site. You will be surprised at the number of affiliate programs and networks out in the market. There’s so much to choose from!
While it can be time-consuming to find relevant affiliate programs through search engines and going through affiliate programs one-by-one, there is an easier way. Try the Wealthy Affiliate affiliate programs platform and let me know how it has worked for you.
I hope you found this article on how to join affiliate programs valuable. If you want to learn more about how to start an online business, let me know and I can show you how.
I hope you enjoyed reading about these common affiliate marketing mistakes and the tips to make it work for you. If you have any questions or any feedback, please leave them below and I will be more than happy to help!