Affiliate marketers learning how to write a product review are like travelers purchasing a plane ticket. Without it, it would be impossible for you to reach your desired destination.
Affiliate marketing is a process where affiliates earn a commission from business owners through product advertising. And in order to successfully market a product, you will need an effective approach and vehicle to drive sales.
Enter the science of product reviews. According to a survey conducted by Bright Local, 91% of consumers age 18-34 say they trust online reviews as much as they trust a friend’s recommendation. It also suggests that 68% of them are likely to purchase products or services after reading positive reviews.
As such, writing reviews can play a major role in helping you fuel your sales.
If you want to learn more about how to write product reviews, read on and let’s discuss it further.
What is an online product review?
A product review is a merchandise-centred online content which is designed to supply consumers insights and in-depth information about a particular product or service. It typically covers the product’s general description, features, as well as pros and cons.
Ideally, its purpose is to provide the target audience with a balanced and unbiased critique of products or services. It is why independent authors usually make it—either by a marketer or a writer—to avoid biased evaluation.
Reviews can also be a form of public commentary. Customers can share their experience (both negative and positive) about the product. As such, they are considered as an excellent avenue to establish credibility and reputation as well.
Writing product reviews is also a subtle way to promote merchandise, which is why it is usually part of digital marketing strategies.
What are the benefits of writing product reviews?
There are loads of reasons for you to produce in-depth product reviews, especially if you are an affiliate marketer. Remember, a huge number of consumers rely on online reviews.
Here a few more reasons why you should make use of product reviews:
1. Establish authority. If you are an affiliate or content marketer, publishing reviews consistently can help you establish authority in your chosen niche. Offering your readers valuable content builds trust.
It shows that you are passionate about providing useful information to help them decide whether a product or a service is worth the investment. Eventually, it may turn into sales as it can influence consumers’ purchasing behaviour.
On the one hand, if you are an entrepreneur, asking your previous clients to write or give reviews of what you do or offer is an excellent way to build a credible reputation.
Your target market is more likely to check your site and your business if they read positive reviews online. It serves as evidence that you have a history of successful projects as well. And therefore, proves that you are able to deliver your job well.
2. It serves as social proof. This how the internet works today – the higher your product’s visibility online, the trendier it becomes. In other words, high online visibility amounts to high sales. Do you agree?
In 1969, a study conducted by Cavett Robert (a marketing expert) indicates that 95% of people are imitators and the rest (5%) are initiators.
This means that consumers are more compelled to take action when they see other individuals (especially peers) use a specific brand. The idea eventually became a prominent marketing technique after Robert Cialdini introduced his Six Principles of Persuasion, which includes conformity or social proof.
And this is where business owners and big brands leverage product reviews.
Customer reviews often serve as social proof for online businesses. And social proof (especially from a notable personality) creates desire and attracts potential customers to make the purchase.
3. Earn money online. As an affiliate marketer, it helps to learn how to write product reviews and integrate it into your content marketing strategy. Consumers tend to search reviews online first before they decide whether to purchase a product or not. Studies show that they are likely to buy the product or avail the service after reading a positive review.
4. Generate traffic. Any piece of content, including product reviews, is designed to generate traffic and leads. For affiliate marketers, lead generation through writing product reviews is an excellent advertising strategy. And the higher the amount of web traffic, the higher the chance to earn sales.
Tips on writing a product review
Now that you understand what an online product review is, its time to learn how to write a product review. Here are some useful tips in writing a review:
1. Get your hands on the product and try it
No matter how proficient and creative you are at writing and researching, firsthand knowledge is very useful when it comes to doing product reviews.
People are discerning of product review sites and which one to trust. So, I definitely recommend trying the product first.
Here’s how you can obtain a product without spending a dime:
- If you are an independent reviewer, blogger, or vlogger, and you wish to publish an evaluation of a particular product, reach out to the seller directly. You can send an email, make a phone call, or message them on their social media accounts. Make sure you include your website URL, and mention how much traffic you receive monthly or the number of your viewers/subscribers.
- For more established companies, they typically have marketing representatives you can contact and talk to. Look for their email address and discuss your review idea. Make sure to include details about your website too.
2. Look for useful details about the product
You may have tried the product, but a review is incomplete if you won’t include important information. You can conduct thorough research to make sure you appear reliable and trustworthy to your readers.
Here are some key information should add to your review:
- Details about the manufacturer
- Features and benefits of your chosen product’s rival brand
3. Don’t be biased and don’t be sales-y
As the old proverb goes, honesty is the best policy. If you want to appear reliable and your audience to trust you, you have to be objective and minimize bias when writing a review.
It is understandable that you are trying to sell the product. However, hyping the positive traits of a merchandise or service will only make you look suspicious. And that could be a reason you lose your audience.
So, as much as possible, balance your assessment. People are smart and they won’t believe a product that has no flaws. If it’s too good to be true, it probably is. So be honest so you can gain your readers’ trust and loyalty.
4. Put yourself in your readers’ shoes
Clearly, your audience is reading your reviews because they want to know something or solve a problem. So your insights matter. As a matter of fact, your opinions can persuade them to either buy the product or not.
This is why its important to based your reviews on your target readers’ questions. You must put yourself in their shoes to be a compelling and successful affiliate marketer.
Here are some of the things your reader will want to know and it should be part of your product review:
- Does the product or service have high quality?
- What are the experience of other people who have used it? Is it pleasant or not?
- Is it easy to use or is it too complicated?
- What are the benefits and the downsides?
- If there are, what are the alternatives?
- Is it worth buying?
5. Consider integrating a 5-star rating
Visual presentation matters. You might want to consider adding a 5-star rating on your page.
Just add a code in your CSS and HTML script to enable this feature. Don’t forget to add rich and compelling snippets with a call to action to make the content more appealing.
Learning how to write a good product review is crucial to becoming an affiliate marketer.
If you are a blogger, it is an excellent way to monetize your website as well. This is particularly true if your objective is to earn a steady stream of income from advertising goods and services of your affiliate partners.
How you present your reviews can also affect your reputation and credibility as a writer and marketer. So always think of your audience first when giving insights. Most importantly, be honest and avoid being biased to persuade potential customers.
If you want to learn more about starting an online business, I strongly recommend that you join Wealthy Affiliate as a starter member for FREE. Read about my Wealthy Affiliate Review here.
For $0, you get access to the training modules, live video classes and video walk-throughs, you can build 2 websites, get a feel of the keyword research tool, and have access to expert help. Remember, it pays to invest in yourself and learn as much as you can.
If you decide to become a premium member in the first 7 days, you will get 61% discount on your first month Premium membership (only $19)! I will also make sure that I’ll be there to support you if you have any question or if you need help.
If you have any questions or any feedback, please leave them below and I will be more than happy to help. Hope you enjoyed reading this!